Monday, May 17, 2010

Preakness

I had quite the weekend. Friday kicked off with a fantastic and gourmet-esque lunch at Fork. yes, it had icons of forks all over in an otherwise totally chic and hip decor. I had a lemongrass lemonade cocktail, finally got to try quinoa as a side to my crispy-skin salmon (I actually bought some at WF but had yet to attempt making it), and had a sinful array of dessert "bites." I think I could eat chocolate pot de creme daily.

Drove down to Baltimore and rushed downtown with Pancho to be volunteer balloon handlers in the Preakness Parade. scored free shirts, glow stick necklaces, and free $40 tickets to Preakness (the motivation). We were in charge of a pink tropical fish. what it had to do with horse racing or Baltimore is beyond me but I can now check that off my life list.

Saturday we went to Preakness. Check 1 of the 3 Triple Crown races off my list. We were in the infield, infamously known for its lawlessness and chaos. Not so bad this year though since people were no longer allowed to bring in their own alcohol. Didn't see too much drunkenness until late in the afternoon. Pancho really wanted to go because OAR played as part of the pre-race festivities. They were good, we enjoyed other bands too and I especially liked the funnel cake and the Black Eyed Susan (Maryland's version of the mint julep). Met up with some of P's friends who had made jello shots and Kahlua pudding (you could bring in food, no drinks). Deeelicious. Alas, no fancy hat and summer dress (not really the infield way) but I vowed I would for the next race. when we actually have seats. Really fantastic weather and no sunburns! We were diligent in re-applying. Oh, and Pancho won $4.60. but had bet $6. :)

And my last Check-that-off-the-list was we had dinner at the Crack Pot (an institution among Bmore crab places) and I had oysters on the half shell for the first time. Pretty good. Texture didn't bother me, but I can see how people are freaked out. Followed it up with more shellfish-- scallops for the entree.

and. (500) Days of Summer was a cute movie. Mmmm to Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I was both annoyed and intrigued with the constant switching of present time and foreshadowing. I first saw Zooey Deschanel in Almost Famous, and I still think she's wonderful. If I could get away with wearing bangs, I would want hers.

Finally. I had my interview this afternoon. Should hear back by beginning of next week. I think it went well. After the gauntlet of this past year I'm starting to build myself up again on the awesome-ness of my resume. (sounds terrible, I know, but then again.. it sort of does rock. and I need to exude this confidence for the interviews). We shall see. I did, however, get to talk about Brian Williams! They have a program with Peter Jennings and journalists, and I made an aside about how I'm a BW fan myself, and then I got to talk about how great he is. and also what a news junkie I am. Asked to list my news sources. (Nightly, Meet the Press, Time, NYTimes, sometimes The New Republic) maybe I should consider some "new media" sources. but seriously where would I get the time?

1 comment: