Monday, May 10, 2010

Monday's update

Why do grape-flavored things taste so horrible but real grapes are so delicious? Where does the discrepancy enter in?

My attempt at the early 90s' 8-Minute Abs video yesterday may have strained my neck muscles. or they're just really sore. I knew I had poor form.

During my last visit to Baltimore, Pancho and I had brunch at Ms. Shirley's, hands-down the best brunch place. I'd spotted the Monkey Bread on the menu before but at $10, it seemed a little steep for an appetizer. We were feeling indulgent and split it along with our meals. I've never had monkey bread before. It. was. heavenly. Like an awesome cinnamon roll but drizzled with chocolate sauce and powdered sugar and deliciousness. So I've looked into it. Williams-Sonoma sells a mix by King Arthur Flour which sounds like it could definitely replicate it at home. But then I went to the KAF website itself, which essentially means I lost roughly 45 minutes from schoolwork this afternoon. So they have a cheaper version of the mix there (figures, should always go straight to the source) AND you can buy a monkey bread pan. I could use my Bundt pan, all you really need is a tube pan to make them, but if its actually called a monkey bread pan, well, seems slightly more proper.
Anyways, I've been using KA flour for the past year (its amazing and organic) and judging from my survey of other baking blogs, a much-loved favorite. The website is pretty cool, lots of recipes and stuff. I have an urge to try my hand at baking bread, but I'm sort of intimidated about the whole rising and proofing and other vocabulary aspects that are out of my comfort zone.
(oh, and Pancho said the pan & mix could be a gift in someone's future... moi? ;)

2 comments:

  1. I think Pancho was hinting that he wants you to give him the pan and mix... hahah

    No but seriously, OH. MY. GOD. Monkey breaaaaaaaaaad.

    I want it. Now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha


    so just i walked into my house to find a huge cake sitting on the counter. Chocolate and home-grown pecans from my roommate's farm (she seriously grew up in some place in tx with a farm. they grow tons of stuff like pecans at their house!) anyway, one bite of this cake: there is BANANA in it. heavenly. glad I just got back from a spinning class haha.

    Seriously, best Monday surprise ever. I'll have to ask her for the recipe because, Paige, you would absolutely LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete