Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A very HAPPY birthday indeed

I feel like its fairly well-acknowledged how much I love my birthday/the holidays/December (but honestly, who doesn't?!) but I have to admit that I was slightly ambivalent about how this birthday was going to go. Is it still a proper birthday without dinner at Carrabbas followed by checkerboard cake? Apparently, yes.

I just love my first-year cohort. We had the last class of the semester today of the class we all have together so it was pretty celebratory. Big breakfast-y feast and the professor starts with "I have a surprise, but we have to get through most of the proposals before we have it. I forgot the orange juice to make mimosas, but there is champagne." YES. in class. at noon-ish. All I could think was "I love grad school." And one of the girls brought in muffins and a candle and everyone sang Happy Birthday to me. It was great, frankly all classes would be much improved with alcohol.

Then, I enjoyed a way too sugary "lunch" of the new Starbucks Caramel Brulee latte and a chocolate croissant from Au Bon Pain. Delicious, if not a bit much. If birthdays aren't a day for indulgence, well... Spent the afternoon watching disc 2 of My So-Called Life. My latest obsession. Must have been weird to come of age in the 90s. All that plaid and grunge-y boys. ehck. I also enjoyed all the birthday texts and calls today, just makes me feel good. Finally, out for dinner with the girls. Lots of fun, and I found a pretty decent sushi place thats only 4 blocks away. score. I really don't know what this semester would have been like without them. So glad that I've made friends here, makes all the difference.

Wonderful birthday. I feel like a million bucks.

2 comments:

  1. Glad your first bday away was good. Wish I could have been there to celebrate with you/provide a checkerboard cake.

    I can't imagine you coming of age in the 90s. ehck is right. You'd totally have hated it.

    Miss you lots! Now that classes are over, there is no excuse not to gchat it up with me. I still teach straight on through to Christmas eve, and then back on the 28 , 29, 30.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me all warm and fuzzy inside. So happy I got to talk to you!

    ReplyDelete