Sunday, July 12, 2009

Just a sneak peek at Philly

Went to Philadelphia yesterday to scout out some apartments. I was really nervous that I wouldn't like any of them or that I would love them but they would be really expensive or not close to campus but lo and behold, I liked several! Now I just need to review the pictures we took, compare all the pros and cons and start making moves to get a lease signed. Although it did just hit me what living in a studio is going to be like--- very very cozy. I appreciate the old Gainesville apartment more and more every day. A dishwasher AND a washer/dryer in the apt AND it was clean with no mice?! Oh.. the glorious days in Lexington Crossing... :)

I think I will be quite happy living in Philly though. University City (the neighborhood I will be living in, borders Penn) is cute, residential, definitely has personality. Lots of converted Victorian houses, quaint front porches (sadly none of the places I looked at had any but I will make friends with people who do. Perfect studying spots!) At most I will have a 15-minute walk to campus and there are lots and lots of little eateries nearby to tempt me from my economical and healthy home-cooking. (Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, and this awesome dessert cafe, Naked Chocolate, are right across the street from the History Dept. and Library. You know, the places I will practically be living in for the next year. Its going to be a daily struggle not to indulge!

This was only my second time to the city so when we left we drove through Center City and I got a glimpse of the museums and Independence Hall area. Then it was off to Geno's to familiarize myself with the local cuisine. Got a "Whiz with" cheesesteak and it was delicious. also put me into a food-coma for the 2 hour drive back to Baltimore!

3 comments:

  1. 2 comments:

    1. The real thing you miss about Lexington Crossing is how wonderful your roommates were, eh? eh?

    2. Regarding the local "cuisine": Genos is shit. Pat's is the only way to go. Seriously. If you continue to frequent Geno's in lieu of the fact that Pat's is right across the street, better-tasting, and far less gaudy, it could ruin our friendship. If there's one thing people from philly believe in, it's Pats vs. Genos. And pat's is the only place that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, water ice (pronounce wooter ice), soft pretzels, TASTYKAKES, and scrapple. All things you will have to enjoy regularly...

    SO jealous. Wish I was in Philly right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you found some apartments you like! are you planning on having roommates up there?

    also, just from the name 'naked chocolate'.. sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete