Wednesday, July 1, 2009

July. Already?!

Work/Life are good. The days seem to be all a big blur. Weekends are here again before I know it. Not quite sure how I feel about the fact that the school year is just that much closer each day. Yikes!

Got to meet Justice Souter yesterday. The interns had an hour Q&A with him. Pretty sweet job perk. He was beyond brilliant. An entirely different level of intellectual-ness. He was also at times pretty funny. He is looking forward to "serious reading" during retirement, going to reread Shakespeare. Said that the usual 2 month summer vacation for the Justices only allowed for light reading, "like appetizers. They don't fill you up." He also talked about the law (of course), and one of the things I liked the most was when he was saying how there are no absolutes. Things are all in relation to other things. It was just incredibly amazing to listen to him talk, it was awe-inspiring to think about what he has read, how he thinks. Being a Justice is a pretty tall order (personally, I'd have to say its now my favorite of the 3 branches of government. Actual work gets accomplished here and on a really consistent and efficient manner at that. Yes yes a little prejudiced I guess but really. SCOTUS has its act together)

The Julia Child book was fantastic. I've moved on to Sweet Revenge, a culinary mystery (one of the latest in a series.) Easy reads but they revolve around food which is awesome. The main character is a caterer who just happens to have murders occur all around her! Plus there are recipes in the back of the books. never made one but they sound delicious.

No plans for the 4th. I do get Friday off (thank you federal employment) so I get to sleep past 6am. Yay! But will most likely spend the day figuring out private school loans and hunting online for apartments. ughhh, probably going to be frustrating. Think Pancho and I will go downtown and watch fireworks over the harbor. Maybe make a strawberry shortcake (you know, something really American-y). My Blockbuster movie this week is Rachel Getting Married, pretty excited about it. We liked Curious Case of Benjamin Button last week, a little on the long side but a good movie nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. I miss you! We definitely need to catch up. Can I call you later this week/this weekend? Glad to see you're enjoying yourself and your job.

    Still no word on Korea yet. Lots of waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo! I liked Rachel Getting Married! And SCOTUS sounds like a dirty word if you say it out loud! Just saying. Haha.

    ReplyDelete