Friday, January 22, 2010

the weekend is here

I have no set plans for this weekend but maybe hanging out with CJ tomorrow. Havent seen him in like 2 months which is just sort of ridiculous seeing as how we live in the same city. and these days thats about as good (and as close) as I'm liable to be from people.

This week was pretty normal I'd say. Usual hum drum school/read/meetings/life routine. Although I did come back on Tuesday morning from a long weekend in Baltimore which was basically phenomenal. I always forget to post about awesome stuff until like days (weeks) later when details aren't as fresh but we went on a brewery tour of Clipper City. It was a lot of fun, got to sample 5 different kinds of beer (in our souvenir beer glass!) and then got a tour of where they make and bottle it. Got to smush hops in my hand which is really stinky and sticky and tasted barley which was like cereal. Apparently the best way to enjoy a beer is in a non-frosted glass (not the bottle) after its sat out for 10-15 minutes.

Pancho and I also tried our hand at making homemade Cocoa Chile Truffles. They turned out awesome and were actually super easy to do. You melt butter, unsweetened and semi-sweet chocolate with heavy cream, chill in fridge for 3 hours, and then scoop out balls and roll in confectioners sugar and cocoa chile powder. Done. The chile powder blend gave them a bit of a kick but very yummy.

And one night we ended out at this bar in Fells Point that had a really wide selection of Belgian beers and I got Lindemans Framboise which I haven't had since I was in Brussels (2.5 years ago) and I loved drinking this stuff. Though it was way way cheaper there. and sadly, it was not at all like I remembered, or perhaps something got lost along the Atlantic crossing. Its a fruit beer and its supposed to be sweet but whatever I had last week was like syrupy sweet. ugh. However, the drinking was salvaged by the hard cider I had picked up earlier at Wine Source. I now do my alcohol buying in MD because sales tax in Philly just went up to 8%. It kills me.

I've been to all my new classes now and they're going to be fine. Reading is just starting to pick up, so not entirely stressed yet. And I'm still working at my resolution to have more fun. The 1st year girls had a game night last night. I brought Bananagrams which I got for Christmas. Walking with it just the 4 blocks was pretty funny because people gave me odd looks. and we played Taboo and then just gossiped and ate cupcakes. lol. And tonight I went to the joint History/History of Sociology and Science grad happy hour. Yay for free cheese and beer. In consequence, I have missed Brian Williams twice this week. Its a travesty. But I did just watch the Jersey Shore finale. so you know, I'm not totally lacking in media and pop culture this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment