Friday, November 13, 2009

Has anyone seen the new Target commercial about "Nancy" who is planning for her first Thanksgiving? I've seen it more than a few times, and I love it every time. Although it terrifies me for the distant future when I will probably need to cook a Thanksgiving dinner. yikes. But its really cute how she practices serving the table and has like paper cut-out drumsticks. Just watch it.
It also triggered some sort of holiday shopping switch in me, but then I realized that not only do I not have any money, but I also just shouldn't buy anything for holiday decorating. a) I have so much crap as it is and b)all the moving around --of which I will be doing again next year--- has me hyper-aware of all the stuff I have. Feeling very conflicted about consumption. I also just read The Consumers' Republic for a class about how post-WWII basically the American Dream was now to be able to buy all the middle-class goods (refrigerators, tvs, cars, toys) that hadn't been in production during the war years. and it all essentially was wrapped up in this language of citizenship and democracy all benefiting the economy and making the U.S. prosperous. It has warped my thinking about why we buy things. and this is deeply saddening seeing as I love(d) to shop. lol.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, we totally have parallel lives! I love that Target commercial! The worst is when the short, appreviated version comes on. The long version is so much cooler! I like it when she practices coming into the dining room in different ways. I cannot wait to have a huge family Thanksgiving dinner like that!

    ReplyDelete