Tuesday, October 27, 2009

JSTOR should be my default webpage

I have been a verry delinquent blogger. Frankly, I can't remember what has happened in the last 3 weeks except that I went to Baltimore for a long weekend. We had a Fall Break, but this is sort of misleading, it was really just a single day off. Although fortunately, its a day that I have class so hallelujah for saving those 3 hours PLUS the 10, 11, usually 13 hours that would have gone towards reading. Spent a very enjoyable weekend watching an absolute ton of college football and the season premiere of Ugly Betty! And seeing Pancho, too, of course.

And, big news, I finally got a new phone. After 4 years and 2 months of that awful awful heavy and brick-like phone (Walf & Ali, remember those struggles of fitting it in my wristlet with my keys, walking over to the Gator games?), I made the leap. Nothing fancy. I told the sales person "I just want to make calls. No photos, no email, just calling." Turns out, they don't even make basic phones anymore. I've got a camera now and all sorts of cool things. I especially like the tip calculator, no more consulting my little faded tip sheet in my wallet. and no more flip phone, this one slides to cover the number pad. Everything works great, except that my apartment is like a black hole. Calls just don't go through, I don't get missed call alerts either, so Pancho has taken to calling several times in a row, incrementally spaced in hopes that something goes through. I just worry about other people calling that I'm never aware of. egh. technology. and big buildings.

So, in the 8th week of classes now. This is a crunch week for me. and I'm just beginning to feel like I'm figuring it out. Which is nice of course but also somewhat frustrating to look back at how I was spending my time before. It has become painfully obvious that I need to be getting up earlier so as to start working, how much stricter I have to be about leisure time, and the need to balance the work I do for each class rather than do everything for one which leads me to skimp on another. Good lessons, now I just need to follow through. and try to remain sane.

Random other things so that I don't keep talking about school:
  • I bought tights! I've spoken at length about my anxiety for dressing in the North, and I feel like I'm making progress. I got both grey and black and I've worn them both already under skirts. I'm already sick of wearing pants (which is not good considering its not even winter yet) and any day above 60 is basically fair game to do tights. Which is another thing I've noticed, I can already get away with much lighter layers than I could in Florida for a given temperature.
  • The leaves are gorgeous here. and falling like crazy. Its been raining though so they're all a big soggy mess that stick to everything. but a very pretty mess.
  • I've been reading The Omnivore's Dilemma (very slowly. basically the only time I allow myself not to read for school is when I eat. which is sort of ironic in this case.) and I'm only about 35 pages in but it's good. I don't know how or even if it will affect what I eat, but I'm curious to learn more about this whole local/organic/follow the path of corn trend that has been going on.

2 comments:

  1. Several notes:

    1. I'm very happy to hear you are starting to settle into a more comfortable place in your school work. Best of luck!

    2. I am totally rocking tights here all the time. I have a black and gray pair also, and my mom is going to send me cream colored ones (which they don't have here) and I'm gonna get navy ones and maroon ones and green ones and brown ones and oh my god I love them!!

    3. I read the Omnivore's Dilemma en route to Korea/right after I got here. It was really interesting, but it was a less than ideal time for me to change my eating habits because I had no idea what anything was so I took the opportunity to eat anything that was even remotely familiar which consisted (and continues to consist) largely of McDonalds, dunkin' donuts, pizza hut, etc.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're figuring it out as far as class work goes! And I'm glad you have time for Ugly Betty. I like the season so far. I read the Omnivore's Dilemma last spring, and suggestion: don't read about the CAFOs while eating.

    It's not too long until Thanksgiving, which will hopefully be a longer break for you!

    ReplyDelete